Thursday, September 26, 2013

Soft Kitty, Warm Kitty, Little Ball of Fur....

If you watch The Big Bang Theory, then you know "Soft Kitty". In The Big Bang Theory, Sheldon teaches Penny a song for her to sing whenever he is sick called "Soft Kitty". It's a childish song, but it makes Sheldon feel better. The words are simply "Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur. Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr."

It was this past week that I felt homesick, which to me, is a kind of sick. I miss my family and friends, I miss the brands that I love, and I miss familiarity. Don't get me wrong, I love living here in Deutschland, but I still miss home. It was yesterday that I decided that I was going to do something about this homesickness...I was going to go to KaDaWe.

KaDaWe is a HUGE department store, similar to Karstadt, another department store that I have talked about in previous posts, but on a much grander scale. It's a department store that is so glamorous, that I was surprised that they didn't kick me out just for attempting to enter. No, I wasn't going to shop (believe me...I can't afford anything there...), but they have a food hall that has been raved about by many Americans living here in Berlin. The entire 6th floor is dedicated to foods from around the world, including an "American" section. I went just to see brands that I was familiar with (Hershey's, Jif...), but I was blown away by the whole floor.

I am going to attempt to describe the wonder that was the 6th floor of KaDaWe. When you arrive on the 6th floor via the escalator, you are greeted with counters, aisles, and stands of all kinds. There are gourmet counters for every kind of food you can imagine...cheese, sausage, fish, meat, dried meat, chicken, vegetables, potatoes, wine, champagne, chocolate, cake, ice cream, coffee, tea, thai, hibachi...you name it, it's there. You can purchase the foods raw to bring home, or, at every counter, they have a menu that you can order from and they cook it in front of you, along with a glass of wine (or coffee, or tea, or soda, or water...) Several people would visit these counters for a meal, snack, or drink, and spend time with themselves or friends or colleagues.

Positioned around these counters are aisles and stands of every food imaginable. It was there that I found the "American" section. Of course, there is peanut butter and bbq sauce (actually, there was a ton of bbq sauce), but there was also the America classics like Poptarts, Crisco, and Betty Crocker Mixes. I won't attempt to list every brand that was I saw, but there are some pictures at the bottom of this post and in the "Die Fotos" section.
 The entrance to KaDeWe
 Just a few of the American Brands
Part of the fish counter

No comments:

Post a Comment