Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Quest for the Hairdryer

Haartrockner = Hairdryer

One thing that I purposely did not bring with me from America was a hairdryer. I figured that I would find a cheap one here in Berlin, one that I could keep here and bring on all of my European adventures. This sounds like a great idea, in theory, but what I did not calculate was knowing where to find a hairdryer. There are no CVSs, no Walgreens, no Rite Aids. There are pharmacies, but they are strictly for medicine. Grocery stores are strictly for food and few toiletries. Jack and I spent the better part of yesterday looking for a hairdryer. It was pouring rain, cold, and we had no idea where we were...yesterday got interesting.

That is when I learned that hairdryers are pretty much sold exclusively at department stores. Think NYC's Macy's, London's Harrod's, or Paris' Galeries Lafayette...that kind of department store. Luckily, about a 20-30 minute walk away, there was Berlin's Karstadt, a department store that doesn't necessarily rival with Macy's, Harrod's, or Galeries Lafayette, but is pretty darn close. That is how we spent our morning-early afternoon today, and it was great...for me. Jack wasn't too fond of the shopping experience, but, hey! I walked out with a 7,50euro hairdryer and a 12,50euro straightener.

The rest of the day was spent napping and a 4-show marathon of The Big Bang Theory for me. Jack did paperwork... After, we decided to go out to dinner. Jack got a Wiener Schnitzel, and I a chicken schnitzel, which I dissected (per usual). The wine was good...Jack's beer was good. I'd say we had a successful day!

3 comments:

  1. You liked the beer? Will wonders never cease! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I did not drink the beer! Well, I had a sip and kinda liked it, but I meant that Jack enjoyed his beer while I enjoyed my wine :)

      Delete