Monday, September 30, 2013

Excuse me, I live here

Schloss = castle
Neues= new
Palais= palace

For the past few days, Jack and I have had visitors! His mom Sandy and Aunt Gail have been here since Friday and we have been lucky to have them. We have been seeing many sights, including the Schloss Charlottenburg, Sanssouci, and the Neues Palais. If we had to pick a theme other than walking, we have seen lots of Palaces and Schlosses. At each place that we visited, Sandy, Gail, and I would pretend that we lived there.

Do any of you do that? Every time you visit an old home or Schloss or Palace, do you pretend that no matter what your current status, you were the royal/rich person that lived there? We chose our bedrooms in each of the Schlosses and practically named our servants. We talked about the porcelain or china that we would use when other noble or royal visitors would come and dine with us. We visualized writing at the intricately designed writing desks to our many correspondences.

My favorite was the Neues Palais. It was the palace built after the Seven Year's War as King Frederick the Great's way of saying "Hey everyone! After a war, my country still has money!" This would be my home. My room would be on the upstairs (heating and bathrooms were installed there). My servants would each have bells to ring for tea or baked goods when I want them, and every day, I have a large wardrobe to choose from. Life is good! Check out all of the Schlosses that we visited and that Sandy, Gail, and I live in. Jack chose to be a simpleton and live in a log cabin in the forest. We'll invite him to dinner.
 Schloss Charlottenburg
Neues Palais
Sanssouci and just part of the grounds

No comments:

Post a Comment