Thursday, September 19, 2013

die Stadt der Märkte

Die Stadt = city
*(not to be confused with Staat, meaning state, and has almost the same pronunciation)
Der Markt = market
Die Märkte = markets

Paris is the city of love (or lights...take your pick). NYC is the city that never sleeps. Berlin? It is die Stadt der Märkte. Well, I don't know if that is their actual slogan, but according to Jack and I, it is. If you ask my friend Susan, she will tell you that I love markets. I love going to Farmer's Markets, Craft fairs, artisan stands...you name it. Markets are places where samples don't count, and you find yourself "needing" that necklace that costs $10 too much, but you'll never find another one like it, so you have to buy it. However, the thing about markets is that they all happen on the weekends. Susan and I have to wait until Saturday to get the amazing pickles from the Pickleman because he is only going to be at the Falls Church market on Saturdays (or is it the Eastern Market market? I can never remember :) )

Not in Berlin...Die Märkte happen daily, though I cannot tell you when or where. Every (nice) afternoon when Jack finishes his work for the day, we enjoy going on walks. We usually go to Preußen Park (aka the Stripper Park) and walk around the big circle a few times, speaking German to one another. Yes, I know enough German now to hold an elementary conversation. Vielen Dank, dw.de! Every day, whether we walk to Preußen Park, Volkspark Wilmersdorf, or along the side streets to the Ku'Damm, there is ein markt, in some platz or park. Sometimes it is a Farmer's Market (though no samples...), sometimes it is a Thai market where all of the Thai people sell homemade Thai food, and other times it's a flea market. Every day. They pop out of no where, and are usually gone or turning in by the time we finish our walk. Where will the market be tomorrow? No idea, but since Berlin is die Stadt der Märkte, I know that we will find one.



2 comments:

  1. Ah, die Gurke Mann! It's Eastern Market indeed. But there is also one at Westover tomorrow - those were the last batch I got. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and also get three tootsie rolls :)

    Loving the blog! Sounds like y'all are enjoying yourselves.
    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I can't wait to go to all those markets. OMG - It sounds way too fun. Scope out all the good ones. (I bet there's a yarn one too!)

    ReplyDelete