Monday, September 9, 2013

Das Glockenspiel

Die Mitte = an area of Berlin, meaning "The Middle"
Glockenspiel = chimes, ring of bells

Jack and I had quite a busy weekend. Saturday was spent at a HUGE outdoor market that sold everything from food, to jewelry, to pottery, to yarn (cue Susan). This market had rows upon rows of goods that would cause Eastern Market to blush. Later that night, Jack and I walked the 3+ miles to Die Mitte for dinner with a guy Jack met at a conference and his girlfriend. We were at the restaurant for hours, not getting home until 1:00am. We took public transportation (U-Bahn) home.

Sunday was a "surprise day" for me. Jack told me sometime last week that he wanted to take me somewhere on Sunday that he enjoyed when here 2 years ago. I was told to be ready at 1:30. We were going to be walking outside for a while, and I was to be "prepared". To Jack, "prepared" means having an empty bladder, as most-all bathrooms cost money, and we're trying to save. It doesn't help that I bring a water bottle with me wherever I go...

My mind rushed with ideas, wondering where Jack was taking me. We walked to and through the Tiergarten, a 5ish km walk. We walked by the Siegessäule, along the Spree, and ended at the Carillon, a huge glockenspiel in the middle of the Tiergarten (take a look in "Die Fotos" to see!). Every Sunday at 3, there is a 45 minute glockenspiel concert at the Carillon, played on a glockenspiel-like piano somewhere in some building, but comes out of the bell tower of the Carillon. Jack brought a blanket, we sat in the grass, and listened to the concert. The weather was again, perfect, and I shut my eyes, listening to the bells. We walked home by the Bundestag (Parliament), and again took the U-Bahn home.

1 comment:

  1. yarn! glockenspiels! it all sounds wonderful - so glad y'all are exploring and enjoying - yay!

    ReplyDelete