Monday, September 16, 2013

Running Technique

I try to go running a few times a week, and I usually go to Volkspark Wilmersdorf. It is a nice, long park that has gardens, greens, and paths. While I enjoy these runs, I have noticed that people stare at me. I'm not being paranoid; I genuinely think that people are staring. At first, I thought it was because I was/am the only female runner wearing shorts and a t-shirt. While many men wear shorts while running, even on nice days, women are in jogging capris or pants with long sleeved running shirts. I was sure that this was the reason why it seemed everyone was staring at me*.

Jack and I were taking a walk in Volkspark Wilmersdorf this afternoon when I finally realized why we stood out...we were the only normal people there! Everyone else had their own unique way of running or walking. Most of the walkers, even though Berlin is flat as a board, walk with walking sticks as if they were hiking through the Alps. Some runners run with their arms down, flopping by their sides like penguins. Others run like they were a statue of Atlas, posing with each step. A few run with their legs running as if from a horrible creature, but their arms are locked into their bodies, not propelling them at all. With each runner that passed us or walker that walked by, Jack and I couldn't help but stare at the bizarre movements and giggle. Jack joked that I should develop a new running form, perhaps with my arms flailing about and my feet pigeon-toed, in order to fit in. My response? I'm proud to be an American...I'll continue to run normally.

*Footnote, I think it is, in fact, my running clothes, that make people stare...

3 comments: