Friday, September 6, 2013

Ich spreche Deutsch!

"Ein kugel von Pfefferminz, bitte!"

Yes, I speak German...Ich spreche Deutsch! The above quote is what I said to an actual German person who was able to understand me. Not even a week in, and I am speaking to Germans...go me!

Let me rewind a little bit and set the scene...today was an absolutely gorgeous Friday. It almost reached 20 degrees Celsius (thats about 80 degrees Fahrenheit for everyone not participating in the metric system). There was no humidity and sunny...absolutely gorgeous. I started the day with a run around Volkspark Wilmersdorf. It is a nice park that is divided into four sections...the lake, the gardens/soccer field, the green area, and the duck pond. I enjoyed the last section, as there is a bridge that goes over the pond meant only for walkers and runners. I stopped running for a few minutes to just look over the park. Quite pretty! Later on, I went grocery shopping again, as our fridge is very small and can only hold a couple of days worth of food/ingredients at a time. Jack came with me because my "German" is not quite ready for the meat/fish counter.

After a delicious homemade halibut dinner, Jack and I decided to venture out to one of the only places that are open for ice cream past 7:00pm. And that's when I said it..."Ein kugel von Pfefferminz, bitte!" which means, "One scoop of peppermint, please!" This is a very important sentence to know, and I am sure that I will say it over and over again, depending on the flavor that I want. I learned on the walk home that I can add "en eine becher," which means "in a cup". I'm sure that I will practice that part next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment