Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Give Me a High 5 #8: Ritter Sport Chocolate

Ritter Sport Chocolate is arguably one of the best chocolates ever. Forget Hershey's, forget Dove's Dark Chocolate squares (gasp!), even forget Godiva. Ok, don't forget Godiva. That stuff is amazing, but Ritter Sport reigns supreme when referring to chocolate bars. Ritter Sport chocolate has tons and tons, hundreds and hundreds of different flavors, both standard and seasonal ones, but the best part about them is that they use quality chocolate. Lucky for me, one of their two factories is located right here in Berlin, and is in an area that I often frequent. It's similar to the Hershey's Factory in PA, only with good chocolate. They have an amazing cafe that I enjoy taking people to for lunch, and have a station to make your own chocolate with your own flavors and add-ins. Having tried almost all of Ritter Sport's chocolates (they're so yummy!), I am going to attempt to rank my top 5. Now don't get me wrong. I love many more flavors. Marzipan, peppermint, rum, coconut, the one with the butter cookie inside...they're all delicious. Except the crispy cereal one...that one is just mediocre.


Before I present my list, know that I like my chocolate dark and without a lot of hooplah. I am not a huge filling person, nor do I like it when there are so many nuts in a chocolate bar that you cannot taste the chocolate. If I wanted an almond, I would eat an almond and not a chocolate bar with almonds. That being said, many who know of Ritter Sport may find my list somewhat boring. As my Nana, Mutti, and Uncle Kurt would say, "Tough!" Write your own blog and make your own list :)

1. Halbbitter 50% Kakao
Your plain, wonderfully delicious dark chocolate bar. No hooplah. Pure dark chocolate goodness. This is my standard chocolate; the one that no matter what, I have somewhere in the apartment and in my purse.
2. Cookies and Cream
A Spring-seasonal flavor. This is actually a milk chocolate, but wowwy good. Being a spring flavor, I am stocking up while I still can before it's gone!
3. Kakao Mousse
It tastes like a Chocolate Mousse cake. It melts in your mouth and is perfect with a glass of wine. The pieces are larger, too, so you are getting more in each piece.
4. Tie between Eiscafe and Espresso
I figured that a tie is allowed when the flavors are basically the same. Eiscafe is a Summer-seasonal flavor. The cafe part melts on your tongue as soon as it hits, with the chocolate part staying a little longer for the ride. Espresso has the same affect. I think the Eiscafe is a little creamier and the Espresso is a little espresso-ier, but I don't quite remember. Maybe I should eat more to figure it out...

5. Edel-Bitter 73% Kakao
This chocolate is extremely dark and bitter. They make the pieces eenie-weenie-teenie because they pack so much of a punch. I love it because it is actually possible to have one piece and be totally satisfied. If you like hard-core dark chocolate, this is the way to go.
*All pictures came from the Ritter Sport website

No comments:

Post a Comment