Sunday, April 27, 2014

Live and Learn #6: You're So Vain

I was born without a bladder. Okay, that is not true, but it seems as though I was born without one. I constantly have to go to the bathroom. Now, as a woman, when I go to the bathroom, I wash my hands and look at myself in the mirror. Does my hair look good? Do I need to reapply makeup or lipstick? Is there anything in my teeth? If I answer "yes" to any of these questions, like most women, my response is to either fix myself right there, or if there is are other women trying to wash their hands, turn to the other side of the bathroom where there is another mirror. Most American Women's bathrooms have a second set of mirrors for this reason. We are constantly making sure that we look alright before leaving the bathroom to continue with our day.

Today, like any other typical day, I used the bathroom, washed my hands, and looked at myself in the mirror. I clearly needed to reapply some lipstick. So, I started to reapply, but saw that another woman was coming to wash her hands. Moving out of the way, I turned around to look in the second set of mirrors. Oh wait, there wasn't a second set of mirrors. How on earth am I supposed to put on my lipstick? It was a bright shade of red that I wanted to put on. You can't just willy-nilly put on this color and expect it to turn out okay. One false stroke of the lipstick, and I would look like The Joker. No, this was a must-need-mirror situation, and I didn't have a mirror. This situation happens often in Germany (and Europe). I/other women in my party are stuck without a second set of mirrors, leaving us blind when putting on makeup, fixing our hair, or checking our teeth. Heaven forbid us walk out of the bathroom with broccoli bits stuck in our teeth!

No comments:

Post a Comment