Friday, December 6, 2013

Weihnachtsmärkte: An Introduction to the First of Many

After babysitting this evening, Jack and I high-tailed it to the Weihnachtsmarkt (Christmas Market) at the Schloss Charlottenburg. The US does not know how to do Weihnachtsmärkte like Germany does, and while I can't speak for the rest of the country, Berlin knows how to have a Weihnachtsmarkt. They are in every major neighborhood and then some. Each markt has their own neighborhood feel, even though they basically sell the same things. Foods include wursts, Flammkuchen, and potato goodies. Gifts include jewelry, handmade crafts, and warm fuzzy items. Think of it like a fairground and Christmas had lots of babies together, and you'll begin to have an idea of what Weihnachtsmärkte are like.

Of course, there is Glühwein. Glühwein, if you don't know already, is a hot and spiced wine that you can order "plain" or with shots of brandy/amaretto/rum/juices/etc... Each markt also has their own Glühwein mugs. You buy the Glühwein and the pfand (deposit charge), which you get returned to you when/if you return the mug. Or, since each markt has their own mug, you can collect the mug and just not get your 2 euro pfand back.

While people are obsessed with Glühwein, I'm not a huge fan (gasp! I know). Don't get me wrong, it's not bad, but it's too sweet. After a few sips, it starts to taste like warm Juicy Juice, and I don't want anymore. However, it's so freakin' cold out that I keep drinking it just to keep my hands and body warm. In 3 days and some hours, my good friend, Susan, is coming to visit, and we will be attending viele (many) Weihnachtsmärkte. Perhaps the Weihnachtsmarkt at Schloss Charlottenburg is different than the other Glühweins at the other Weihnachtsmärkte? I shall have to try again and see :)

It was friggin' cold this evening, so my pictures are out of focus and not that great due to my huge gloves. When Susan comes, better ones will be taken of viele Weihnachtsmärkte.

Entrance to Schloss Charlottenburg

Enjoying Glühwein
Enjoying warmth from Glühwein


1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited I can hardly stand it! Have you tried any lebkuchen yet? or pfeffernusse? The lebkuchen would go great with the Gluwein. Dinner at the Christmas Markets! The original street food.

    See y'all soon

    ReplyDelete