Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Touching the Plane

Jack and I just flew back the US for a few days to celebrate the marriage of our two dear friends (Congratulations Brian and Larissa!!!). While it seems like we just got to Germany, we knew that we couldn't miss this wedding. So, last Wednesday morning, we packed up our things and headed off to Tegal Airport. Because Jack likes to be über early to everything, we arrived at Tegal with so much time to spare, that we weren't even allowed to check in yet. After some (ok lots of) waiting, we got on the plane from Tegal to Frankfurt, and it was all fine and dandy. Until...

I have a crazy superstition about planes. I don't have many superstitions in life, but this is one that I keep. I always must touch the outside of the plane as I get on it. This includes the people in my immediate party. The few times I have not touched the plane, either something has gone wrong or the flight was just horrible. My family has gotten to the point where they do it out of habit, so I never have to remind them to touch the plane when we go somewhere. However, Jack and I have not flown together often, so I forgot to remind him about touching the plane from Frankfurt to Orlando. It went all downhill from there...

I had a bigger lady sitting next to me whose arm took up half of my seat space, no matter how many times I pushed it over. The back of Jack's arm has bruises from the flight attendant carts and people that knocked him. I had cramps. We were fed dinner in the beginning of the flight, which tasted of the aluminum that the meat was packaged in. I didn't eat it. We weren't fed or even given drinks or snacks for another almost 10 hours (I checked...). When they came around with "lunch", they had gave us no choice, and we had to eat it in 10 minutes because we were close to landing. It was a gross mac and cheese. Again, I didn't eat. Screeming babies echoed the cabin. Jack and I were faint, dehydrated, tired, hungry, crampy, bruisy, and all around miserable.

Fast forward 5 days later to our flight from Chicago to Berlin. Different airline today, and I made sure that Jack touched the plane when we got in. We were greeted with candy by the flight attendant as we walked on the plane. We were given travel kits, ear phones, full sized water bottles, free wine, and plenty of delicious food. The touch screens that everyone had to use were as nice as my ipad with tons of movies, whole seasons of tv shows, and even games. Even though we were in economy, we felt like at least business class. Also, no screaming children! Jack has learned his lesson, and hopefully will not need to be reminded again.

And here's a little visual for you; Jack enjoying PizzaHut in Target along with a monster-sized cup for soda/water. Oh, America, how we missed you :)

*Note to all those that travel with me in the future, TOUCH THE OUTSIDE OF THE PLANE!!!!!
Yummy Pizza!
Can my stomach hold that much water at one time?


2 comments:

  1. What airline do you fly? Air France was awesome when I went in the summer.
    (It was great to see you at the wedding!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We flew Lufthansa on the way back to America. We've never had any problems before with them! AirBerlin was what we took back, and every flight that I have been on with them has been over and above. Whenever you are in Berlin again, take them!
    (It was great to see you too!!!)

    ReplyDelete