Monday, November 25, 2013

Ich lese Eine Weihnachtsgeschichte

lese = I read
die Weihnachts = Christmas
das Geschichte = story
der Roman (hehe...Roman...) = novel

This weekend after my yoga class, I met Jack at Dussman's. Dussman's is one of the most wonderful places in Berlin; it's a bookstore. But not just any bookstore. Their English section is bigger than many bookstores in America, and there are floors and floors of (German) books, calendars, music, movies, and journals, games, other language books, and all of those fun little knickknacks that you find at the cash register that you would have never thought to buy unless it was staring right in front of you. Really...who needs a holographic bookmark when it's sole purpose is to mark your place when the book is CLOSED and you can't see it?

Anywho, so I met Jack and Dussman's because I was on a quest; a quest to get a real book to read auf Deutsch. None of those little kiddie 99 cent 2"x 2" books that are about a hen who learned to fly with an umbrella and wind (though I am proud that I read that thing!). No, I wanted to get one of my favorite books auf Deutsch. Jack and I agreed to meet back in a little (less) crowded corner in 45 minutes as we did our own perusing. I walked through many different sections, though spent the most of my time in the Roman section (teehee...Roman...). What book do I choose? There are so many, but how hard would they be auf Deutsch?

It was then that the book I ended up choosing basically flew into my hands. The book is not too long, not too short. I know the story extremely well, so I can figure out what is happening. On top of that, the setting of the book is basically upon us...Christmas. I purchased Eine Weihnachtsgeschichte (aka A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens) and began reading it as soon as I got home. Yes, I have to look up almost every other word. I have a handy dandy notebook to write down the words and their meanings. Yes, it takes about 30 minutes per paragraph to read. Yes, it's only been 3 days and I am only on page 3 (almost 4!). But gosh darnit, I am reading a real Roman (teehee!) auf Deutsch! It is going to take a long time, but go me!

My book with my handy dandy notebook

No comments:

Post a Comment