Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Live and Learn: die Apotheke und Das Rezept

die Apotheke= pharmacy
das Rezept = prescription

I have been learning a lot as of late it seems! This edition of "Live and Learn" would not have been possible without my first Live and Learn experience at die Artzpraxis. At die Artzpraxis, I received a prescription for a 3 month supply for birth control to fill at die Apotheke. An Apotheke is a pharmacy that is only a pharmacy. While pharmacies in America (like CVS) are connected with a store of some kind where you can buy lots of other goodies, die Apotheke is pretty much strictly for prescriptions. They have some higher end lotions, acne washes, and cough drops or mentos at the counter, but not much else. 

Anywho, I went to the Apotheke this afternoon to fill my Rezept for birth control. Apothekes are very easy to find, as there are several on every block. At first, it was hard to tell who the pharmacist was. There was a group of people talking in the small Apotheke, but everyone was dressed in regular clothing. There was no white doctor jacket with a name tag that says "Hi! My name is..." However, I figured that the person that greeted me with a smile was the pharmacist, so I said, "Ich habe ein Rezept." "Ok," and she took my Rezept and walked behind the counter to the back room. 

Based on my pharmacy experiences at home, I'm ready for her to come back out and say that I'll have to wait 15-90 minutes for das Rezept or that there is a problem with my insurance and to come back tomorrow. Not so here. The pharmacist came back with the birth control, and rung me up. I pay the 34 euros (seriously...that's only 11,33 euros a month. I almost feel like I'm stealing them!) and walk out within 2-3 minutes. Point for Deutschland!



No comments:

Post a Comment