Sunday, October 13, 2013

Live and Learn: Berliners

Some people have compared Berliners to Parisians or New Yorkers...rude, arrogant, and in their own little bubble. I'm here to confirm that comparison, along with a strong emphasis that this pertains only to those from Berlin. I have met many who live in Berlin, but are not from Berlin, and are very wonderful people. However, for the most part, Berliners as a whole can be complete jerks. Below are some Berliner experiences:

  • Sandy, Gail, Jack, and I were on the U-bahn (one of Berlin's many metro ways), when Gail tried smiling at someone whom she made eye contact. The Berliner immediately turned their head, as if the eye contact never happened, and never smiled back.
  • I was running in the Tiergarten on a gorgeous fall day when I saw a man smiling at what I can only assume was an absolutely breathtaking view of the sun through some foliage. We made eye contact (I always consider it a major accomplishment when I can make eye contact with Berliners) and I pointed at the breathtaking view saying "Sehr schön!"meaning "very beautiful!" He rolled his eyes and ignored me.
  • I was having coffee with a friend one morning, when I asked for another cup of coffee. Waiters do not work for tips, as they are paid rather well, and it is customary to only round up the bill to determine their tip. I asked 3 times in the span of 30 minutes and never got my 2nd cup of coffee. I didn't round up my bill...they got exact change.
  • Berliners do not care about your personal space or your right of way:
    • They stand directly in front of you (and I do mean directly) on the metro when the car is near empty
    • Even with the walk sign, drivers turning in your direction almost butt the heads of their car into your legs 
      • *side note: Your mother was right...look both ways before you cross the street
On a completely different topic, there is a Festival of Lights going on at night in Berlin for the next week. Last night, Jack and I walked part of the city to see the lit-up buildings. While we will most likely go again, here are a few pictures from what we saw last night. Sehr schön!
 Die Brandenburger Tor
 Kaiserdom
No idea what this building is called, but it's across from Hombolt University on Unter den Linden

No comments:

Post a Comment