Friday, June 27, 2014

Liebe Berlin,

Liebe Berlin,

It's almost time. We've had a good run! We've had some good times, we've had some bad times, but our time is over now. I'll admit, it was hard in the beginning. You weren't familiar, I couldn't use my phone to call my Mutti for help, and I couldn't understand a word that you were saying. However, as we got to know one another, I realized that Jack and I could do this. I eventually began to understand you, though half the time, I still can't understand a word you are saying. You've taught me so much; about myself and about life.

You have taught me:
  • Be present in the moment. Life is not virtual, it is here and now. Enjoy every moment, take breaks when you need to, and stop worrying!
  • Family and friends will help you get through anything
  • Bread and carbs are okay. In fact, they're delicious
  • What good chocolate tastes like
  • Chicken has a taste
  • How to (decently) speak a foreign language
  • The importance of travel
  • Christmas markets are amazing
  • How to relax, especially on Sundays and holidays
  • That the US needs Döners. Period. 
Since you have taught me so much, I would like to repay the favor and teach you a few things:
  • You need a Target (it's French!) and a Sephora. Trust me on this.
  • Not everyone has to own a dog
  • Update your toilets so that they are without shelves
  • Smoking is bad for you
  • Learn how to walk. Not everyone walks slow, walks with sticks, or horizontally in groups
Jack and I soon return home to the US to finish up the first chapter of our lives. We have graduate programs to finish and jobs to find. While we have a long life ahead of us, you will never be forgotten, Berlin. We will miss you, and hope to visit you again in the future!

Love Always und Bis Bald,
Sarah (& Jack)

No comments:

Post a Comment